An Investor's Log, Week 4

So, after a rough month, let's take a look at my portfolio vs the world:



Apparently, unless I put a considerable amount of money on oil-related assets, there's no way I could have spared myself the loss I am now faced with. So starting from last Monday, I am putting some money (target 10%) on an oil-related FOF, and waiting for the chance to buy some US tech/growth funds.

Besides, I want to talk about something that may benefit an investor like me in the long run. 

1. It's necessary to build a global market dashboard for yourself, both to get the vibe on the market and to know how you behaved relatively. 

2. Also needed is a portfolio dashboard which shows the percentage of every asset you bought. Tag them according to the global market classification (the market explains 80% of the return of individual assets). That way you can clearly see what contributes and what not.

3. Focus on the trend and the reasonings behind it. Make sure you do understand the narrative, not just the indices and all those macro bullshit.

4. The portfolio mindset is actually a good way to fight against uncertainty. Unless you can be 100% sure of your forecast of any asset (that is, you believe you have unique information about it), anything apart from your long term portfolio shape is increasing the risk, not adding the return. The better way to do it is to have a benchmark percentage, and dynamically adjust your asset around it (when price goes up, percentage is higher than the benchmark, you sell some to align with it; when price goes down, but some)

Let's see how April plays out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family education is not that important

The value of life depends to a great extent on pure hazard

Can Writing be fun?